Saturday, February 22, 2014

512s Coda Lunga: the "Highbrow" Ferrari


A matter of taste of course... The Ferrari 512s Coda Lunga--notwithstanding the sophisticated character of its design--is to me the most beautiful car ever built.

And it is to this sophistication that I attribute the car's success. I use the word "sophisticated" as an expression to characterize its formal complexity. From some perspectives the car is over-burdened with curves, abrupt changes in form, sudden straight lines, overly-complex activity--but then suddenly the viewer draws a new angle on the car and its beauty jumps out. The above view, for example, or the plan view--the view directly from the side... and so on. The 512s Coda Lunga (Long Tail) is a spatial poem. It represents Ferrari's most risky and most successful design. Despite many triumphs, the company was never able to achieve such dynamism again (and I am sure they tried).






1 comment:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Looks like one of the Hot Wheels I had when I was a kid . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *